This sub-metric is used to evaluate the metric : ""5.2 Sustainable fishing""
With this metric we aim to publicise and compare the policies adopted by the main distributors in Spain regarding the responsible purchasing and marketing of their fish and aquaculture products and their efforts in certification, labelling, legislative compliance, non-commercialisation of illegal fishing, no conflicting fish and the promotion of sustainable fishing.
Up to 20% of the world's fisheries are illegal, according to the United Nations (UN), which negatively affects the marine ecosystem. Moreover, 33% of the world's fish stocks are overfished.
According to this organisation, sustainab
The European regulation indicates that the establishments must show the commercial denomination and the scientific name of the species; if the specimen has been caught in the sea or in fresh water or if it is breeding; the waters where it was fished or the country where their rearing period has concluded, the fishing gear used or if the product has been previously thawed, they must also reflect the final price.
In order to offer the maximum transparency of their own brand fish products, distributors must clearly have the following information on their labeling and packaging:
- Wild fishing: Designation / origin, geographical area of ??capture, sub-geographical area (if available) and methods of capture.
- Aquaculture: Spanish denomination, South American denomination and country of origin.
We will assign a "" YES "" to this question if:
- The company declares to comply strictly with the Labeling Law or there is no evidence that it does not comply with it through audits in stores or documented complaints via social networks. We invite all our collaborating researchers to update this metric for the companies evaluated by providing photographic evidence in case of non-compliance.
So far, with 8 companies evaluated, we assign a YES to all supermarkets presuming compliance with the Law, but we leave this score alive pending any eventual non-compliance detected
We will assign a "NO" if:
- Through audits in stores or complaints documented via RRSS, at least one own-brand frozen product or 2 fresh fish counters from the evaluated company does not correctly comply with the labeling in the terms indicated above.
This information can be found in any of the following reports published on the companies' website:
- Annual memory
- Corporate Social Responsibility Report
- Sustainability Report
- Environmental Report
- Report on Carbon Footprint
- Non-Financial Information Statement (EINF)