Corporate Social Responsibility Report
This metric is based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Guidelines. It covers one of the reporting requirements of Indicator G4-EN11 - 'Operational sites owned, leased, managed in, or adjacent to, protected areas and areas of high biodiversity value outside protected areas'.
By reporting on the potential impact on land that lies within, contains, or is adjacent to legally protected areas, and areas of high biodiversity value outside protected areas, an organization can identify and understand certain risks associated with biodiversity. Monitoring which activities are taking place in both protected areas and areas of high biodiversity value outside protected areas makes it possible for the organization to reduce the risks of impacts. It also makes it possible for the organization to manage impacts on biodiversity or to avoid mismanagement. Failure to adequately manage such impacts may result in reputational damage, delays in obtaining planning permission, and the loss of the social license to operate.
To calculate the number of operational sites in, or adjacent to, protected areas - G4-EN11:
- Identify the location and size of operational sites that are owned, leased, managed in, adjacent to, or that contain, protected areas or areas of high biodiversity value outside protected areas. Include information about sites for which future operations have been formally announced.
Areas of high biodiversity value
Areas not subject to legal protection but recognized for important biodiversity features by a number of governmental and non-governmental organizations. These include habitats that are a priority for conservation (often defined in National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans prepared under the UN ‘Convention on Biological Diversity’ (83)). Several international conservation organizations have identified particular areas of high biodiversity value.
Areas that are protected from any harm during operational activities, and the environment remains in its original state with a healthy functioning ecosystem.
Reporting on this Indicator should include the following contextual information as a comment to the metric value:
- G4-EN11-a: the following information for each operational site owned, leased, managed in, or adjacent to, protected areas and areas of high biodiversity value outside protected areas:
- Geographic location
- Subsurface and underground land that may be owned, leased, or managed by the organization
- Position in relation to the protected area (in the area, adjacent to, or containing portions of the protected area) or the high biodiversity value area outside protected areas
- Type of operation (office, manufacturing or production, or extractive)
- Size of operational site in km2
- Biodiversity value characterized by:
For WikiRate Researchers:
- Please see this page for guidelines on how to research values for GRI-based metrics.