The role of renewable energy solutions in mitigating climate change is proven. The heavy reliance on fossil fuels and inefficient and outdated coal-fired power plants is one of the main reasons for the energy sector’s high contribution to global greenhouse gas emissions. This not only elevates global temperatures but seriously impacts on air quality and human health. Transitioning to renewable energies therefore supports significant progress on the Paris Agreement on climate change, as well as on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The RE100 initiative was launched in 2014 to bring together influential businesses to commit to 100% renewable electricity by 2050. You can find out which companies have signed up, and more about their commitments in the RE100 company list.
For this metric question you are being asked to identify whether the company has made a commitment to use 100% renewable electricity by a specified future year.
If the company is a RE100 member, you can find further details about their commitment on the RE100 company list. If the company is not a member, they may have made the commitment on their website, in a policy document or in a sustainability report.
The following categorical answer options are designed to cover all possible answers to this question (i.e. Unknown is never a correct answer):
- Already Achieved: The company has already achieved 100% renewable electricity in its operations. Add in the comments by what year they have achieved this if the information is available
- By 2020: The company has committed to 100% renewable electricity by 2020
- By 2030: The company has committed to achieving 100% renewable electricity by 2021 up to 2030
- By 2040: The company has committed to achieving 100% renewable electricity by 2031 up to 2040
- By 2050: The company has committed to achieving 100% renewable electricity by 2041 up to 2050
- After 2050: The company has committed to achieving 100% renewable electricity by 2051 or later
- No: Select this option if you cannot find a reference to a renewable energy committment in the appropriate sources
How to Research an Answer
Follow these steps or watch this video demonstrating how to research and add answers:
Select the company, metric and year
Look for the answer to the metric's question in a suggested source or add a new source
Cite the source
Enter the answer and supporting comments
Watch the project tutorial on editing an answer.
Watch the project tutorial on editing the value "year".
Watch the video tutorial on adding a URL as a source.
Watch the video tutorial on adding a PDF file as a source.
Found a bug?
WikiRate is in Beta, so if you if you encounter any technical problems, make a Ticket so that we can track and resolve this issue.