Corporate Social Responsibility Report
This metric is based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Guidelines. It covers one of the requirements of Indicator G4-EN25 - 'Weight of transported, imported, exported, or treated waste deemed hazardous under the terms of the Basel Convention (2) Annex I, II, III, and VIII, and percentage of transported waste shipped internationally'.
Hazardous waste management is a key area of concern for many stakeholders. Improper transport of dangerous wastes, particularly to countries that lack the infrastructure and national regulations to handle such waste, can pose harm to both human health and the environment. In addition, poor management of hazardous waste creates liabilities associated with non-compliance with national and international regulations, as well as potential damage to reputation.
To calculate the total weight of hazardous waste handled -G4-EN25-a:
- Identify hazardous waste transported by or on behalf of the organization within the reporting period by destination. This includes transport across operational boundaries and within operations.
- Using this information, calculate the total weight of transported hazardous waste using the following equation:
- Identify the total weight of hazardous waste transported across international borders and which enters the boundaries of the organization, by destination. Waste transported between different locations of the organization is not counted as imported.
- Identify the proportion of the total amount of transported hazardous waste by destination that is transported from the organization to locations abroad. Include all wastes that leave the boundaries of the organization to cross international borders, excluding transportation between different locations of the organization.
- Identify the portion of the total amount of transported and exported waste by destination that the organization has treated.
- Identify the portion of the total amount of waste by destination that is treated by external sources/suppliers, that has been transported, exported, or imported by the organization.
- Convert volumes to an estimate of weight with a brief explanation of the methodology used.
Reporting on this Indicator should include the following contextual information as a comment to the metric value:
For WikiRate Researchers:
- Please see this page for guidelines on how to research values for GRI-based metrics.